7 unique ways we partner for prevention
Did you know that in his quote “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” Ben Franklin was reportedly referring to fire safety? We think his sage advice applies to so much more. We’re looking at technology across Stryker and highlighting seven unique tools that our customers use to prevent everything from infection to surgical smoke exposure.
When it comes to infection, the numbers tell the story. Every year in the U.S. over 700,000 patients acquire healthcare-associated infections.1 In 2018, the ECRI listed device cleaning, disinfection
Our customers told us that they were battling the effects of DEA-regulated controlled substance diversion.
So we created a secure alternative for drug waste: the Cactus Smart Sink System. The Cactus Smart Sink System automatically secures and renders controlled substance waste unusable and non-retrievable while providing a secured bridge from traditional drug disposal to proper and responsible disposal.
Medics experience frequent spinal loading due to repetitive motions such as lifting, lowering, carrying, and bending. An estimated 34% of EMS work-related injuries are sprain or strain
We design products to help you save lives and your back during transport. Our industry-leading powered ambulance cot, the Power Pro-XT assists you in lifting and lowering the cot. While Power-LOAD, our powered cot fastener system, helps boost safety by supporting the cot throughout loading and unloading. The reduction in spinal load helps prevent cumulative trauma injuries.
88% of retained surgical sponge cases had a false correct count.3 However these types of adverse events -leaving sponges behind -are preventable.
With 2.5 million patients treated for hospital-acquired pressure injuries annually in the U.S.4, the cost of treatment is on the rise. Pressure injury care in the U.S. approaches $11 billion annually.5
Hospitals can help prevent and treat all pressure injuries (stages 1-4, unstageable and deep tissue injury) with the Isolibrium Support Surface and IsoTourGel support surface. Unique technology addresses pressure redistribution, shear
It's estimated that 500,000 workers are exposed to laser and electrosurgical smoke each year,7 putting them at risk for chronic bronchitis, carcinoma, leukemia, cardiovascular
While being treated in a hospital, roughly 850,000 patients experience a fall.9 On average, there is a fall injury every 13 seconds.10 We know fall prevention is a top priority for our customers.
1. GliedS, Cohen B, Liu J, et al. Trends in Mortality, Length of Stay, and Hospital Charges Associated with Healthcare-associated Infections, 2006-2012. Am J Infect Control. 2016 Sep 1; 44(9): 983–989. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5011005/. Accessed June 2019.
2. Emergency Medical Service Workers Injury Data. CDC.gov. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/ems/data.html. Publication reviewed March 20, 2018. Accessed June 5, 2019.
3. Gawande, A. et al. “Risk factors for retained instruments and sponges after surgery.” N Engl J Med. 348;3 (Jan. 2003) 229-35.
4. Preventing Pressure Ulcers in Hospitals. AHRQ.gov. https://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/hospital/pressureulcertoolkit/putool1.html. Publication reviewed October 2014. Accessed June 2019.
5. National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel and Pan Pacific Pressure Injury Alliance. Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers: Clinical Practice Guideline. Emily Haesler (Ed.) Cambridge Media; Osborne Park, Western Australia; 2014
6. DI131 & RAA106
7. Alp, E., Bijl, D., Bleichodt, R.P., Hansson, B., Voss, A. “Surgical Smoke and Infection Control.” Journal of Hospital Infection (2006); 62, 1-5
8. Perioperative Nurse Study; ECO048123
9. Preventing Falls in Hospitals. AHRQ.gov. https://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/systems/hospital/fallpxtoolkit/index.html. Publication reviewed July 2018. Accessed June 2019.
10. CDC: Among U.S. seniors, fall-related deaths have doubled. Advisory.com. https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2015/05/11/cdc-among-usseniors-fall-related-deaths-have-doubled?WT. Published 2015. Accessed June 2019.
SYK CORP 2019-06-08