"If before COVID-19 I may have used Flyte especially for the hips, now I am considering using Flyte for the knees."
On the day that this situation is going back to normal and we can return to operating, for me it is clear that I will always use Flyte. If before COVID-19 I may have used Flyte especially for the hips, now I am considering using Flyte for the knees. There are many microparticles created with the use of the saw and hammer also when performing knee surgery1.
What we will have to find out is if we will have to make a preoperative differentiation of our patients to learn if they are free of COVID-19 and to see if we treat them in the same way as we have been doing, following a COVID-19 free circuit and which process to follow in case of those patients that have been tested positive. We will also need to learn if it will only be trauma emergencies that we will be carrying and if we’re delaying elective orthopedics.
In any case, what I am thinking of doing is using the recommended type of mask2 with the Flyte helmet, so to ensure that I have would have more protection. We will have to wait a bit to see the evolution and the protocols that will be established as well
Dr. Revenga is a Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon at Hospital San Juan Grande, Jeréz, Spain.
Want to learn more? Visit dr. Revenga's website:
All opinions expressed in this blog are solely and exclusively from Dr. Revenga and do not represent Stryker's.
1) Springer Link, COVID-19 coronavirus: recommended personal protective equipment for the orthopaedic and trauma surgeon https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00167-020-06022-4
2) Gobierno de España – Prevención y control de la infección en el manejo de pacientes con COVID-19 14.04.2020 https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov-China/documentos/Documento_Control_Infeccion.pdf
1) The Flyte PPE products are not cleared as respiratory protective products. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control guidance for respiratory protection directs the use of an FFP3 respirator mask for medical staff performing Aerosol Generating Procedures.
2) Dr. Revenga is a paid consultant of Stryker. The opinions expressed herein are the opinions of Dr. Revenga and not necessarily those of Stryker. Individual experiences may vary.
3) This information is intended solely for the use of healthcare professionals.
This information is intended solely for the use of healthcare professionals.
A healthcare professional must always rely on his or her own professional clinical judgment when deciding whether to use a particular product when treating a particular patient. Stryker does not dispense medical advice and recommends that healthcare professionals be trained in the use of any particular product before using it in surgery. The information presented is intended to demonstrate the breadth of Stryker product offerings. A healthcare professional must always refer to the package insert, product label and/or instructions for use before using any Stryker product.
Products may not be available in all markets because product availability is subject to the regulatory and/or medical practices in individual markets. Please contact your Stryker representative if you have questions about the availability of Stryker products in your area.
Stryker Corporation or its divisions or other corporate affiliated entities own, use or have applied for the following trademarks or service marks: Flyte, Stryker. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners or holders.
The products depicted are CE marked in accordance with applicable EU Regulations and Directives.
SMACC Project No. 2020-25016