With over 15 years and over 3 million implantations worldwide, Triathlon has a long clinical history.1-3 In a 10-year follow-up study, Triathlon showed 99% survivorship.3 Triathlon was designed to incorporate some of the most studied features of Stryker’s prior designs that have been shown to address many of the main reasons for revision TKA, such as instability, patellofemoral tracking complications and loosening/osteolysis.3
The Triathlon knee system offers surgeons a variety of options depending on disease, deformity and patient demand including cruciate-retaining, condylar-stabilizing, posterior-stabilizing and difficult primary options. Studies have shown that Triathlon and the single radius provide:
1. Gómez-Barrena E, Fernandez-García C, Fernandez-Bravo A, Cutillas-Ruiz R, Bermejo-Fernandez G. Functional performance with a single-radius femoral design total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468(5):1214-1220. doi:10.1007/s11999-009-1190-2
2. Piazza S. Designed to maintain collateral ligament stability throughout the range of motion. Stryker-Initiated Dynamic Computer Simulations of Passive ROM and Oxford Rig Test. 2003.
3. Mistry JB, Elmallah RK, Chughtai M, Oktem M, Harwin SF, Mont MA. Long-term survivorship and clinical outcomes of a single radius total knee arthroplasty. Surg Technol Int. 2016;28:247-251.
4. Cook LE, Klika AK, Szubski CR, Rosneck J, Molloy R, Barsoum WK. Functional outcomes used to compare single radius and multiradius of curvature designs in total knee arthroplasty. J Knee Surg. 2012;25(3):249-253. doi:10.1055/s-0031-1299660
5. Shimizu N, Tomita T, Yamazaki T, Yoshikawa H, Sugamoto K. In vivo movement of femoral flexion axis of a single-radius total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2014;29(12):2407-2411. doi:10.1016/j.arth.2013.12.001
6. Larsen B, Jacofsky MC, Jacofsky DJ. Quantitative, comparative assessment of gait between single-radius and multi-radius total knee arthroplasty designs. J Arthroplasty. 2015;30(6):1062-1067. doi:10.1016/j.arth.2015.01.014
7. Stoker M. Mid-term results of patient satisfaction following total knee arthroplasty. Presented at: ICJR Transatlantic Orthopaedic Congress (15th Annual ISK Sports Medicine & Total Knee & Hip Course in Collaboration with EKA); October 3-5, 2014; New York, NY.
8. Scott CE, Clement ND, MacDonald DJ, et al. Five-year survivorship and patient-reported outcome of the Triathlon single-radius total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015;23(6):1676-1683. doi:10.1007/s00167-014-2922-8
9. National Joint Registry for England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Isle of Man. 13th Annual Report. 2016. Excerpt from Table 3.28: Kaplan-Meier estimated cumulative percentage probability of first revision (95% CI) of a primary total knee replacement by main type of implant brand at the indicated number of years after primary operation.
10. National Joint Replacement Registry. Hip, Knee & Shoulder Arthroplasty Annual Report 2016. Australian Orthopaedic Association; 2016. Excerpts from Figure KT8: Cumulative Percent Revision of Primary Total Knee Replacement with Cement Fixation and Figure KT29: Cumulative Incidence Revision Diagnosis of Primary Total Knee Replacement by Polyethylene Type (Primary Diagnosis OA).