Accolade II’s Morphometric Wedge is designed to address modern demands with novel technology by evolving conventional tapered wedge femoral stem design with size specific medial curvature to more closely fit a broad range of bone sizes and shapes of today’s patient population.1 Accolade II has been shown to allow for enhance stability,2 decreased intraoperative femoral fractures,3 as well as survivorship and functional outcomes4,5 which may lead to satisfied patients.5,6
Clinically, Accolade II has shown significantly better overall canal fit1 than conventional tapered wedge design with five times less intraoperative fractures observed compared to conventional tapered wedges3 and less than 0.1mm subsidence pursuant to a 2-year RSA study. Additionally, Accolade II has shown 99.2% survivorship pursuant to a 3.5-year mean study.4
Key features include:
1. Issa, K et al. Radiographic Fit and Fill Analysis of a New Second-Generation Proximally Coated Cementless Stem Compared to its Predicate Design. Journal of Arthroplasty (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2013.04.029.
2. Collopy D et al. A Prospective Roentgen Stereophotogrammetric Analysis (RSA) Study of the Stryker Accolade II Cementless Hip Stem to 2-Years Post-Surgery. Abstract from 2016 Annual AOA Meeting-Cairns, OLD, October 9-13, 2016.
3. Bono, J. et al. Total Hip Intraoperative Femur Fracture: Does a Tapered Wedge Design with a Size Specific medial Curvature Reduce the Incidence of Intraoperative Femur Fracture? Presentation at 47th Annual EOA Meeting – New Orleans, LA, October 19-22, 2016.
4. Pierce T et al. Second-Generation Versus First-Generation Cementless Tapered Wedge Femoral Stems. Orthopaedics 2015 38(9): 550-554.
5. Kolisek, F. et al. Outcomes of Second-Generation Tapered Wedge Design. SurgTechnolInt. 2016 April 4: XXVIII. Pii. Sti28/702.
6. Stryker Internal presentation ‘Global Bone Morphology Study-Proximal Femur’. November 10, 2016.
7. Narzikul, BS et al. Alternation in Geometry of Femoral Stem Results in Better Fit and Fill: Comparison of Accolade I vs. Accolade II. Presentation at 47th Annual EOA Meeting – New Orleans, LA, October 19-22, 2016.
8. Abdel MP, et al. Epidemiology of Periprosthetic Fracture of the Femur in 32 644 Primary Total Hip Arthroplasties. Bone Joint J 2016; 98-B: 461-7.
9. Wuestemann T, Bastian A, Parvizi J, Nessler J, Kolisek F. A novel tapered hip stem design optimized for femoral fit in a wide array of bone types. 2011 EFFORT
10. Boucher, F et al. Preclinical Finite Element Analysis of a Novel Tapered Wedge Stem Optimized for Stability at a Reduced Length. 2011 EFFORT Poster Presentation