VariAx Distal Radius Locking Plate System
The SmartLock Locking Technology in the VariAx System is designed to encourage a locked screw to plate interface due to the combination of Grade II Titanium plates (softer) and Grade V Titanium screws/pegs (harder). The threads on the underside of each screw/peg head are designed to engage the circular “lip” in each plate hole upon insertion and create a locked construct.
The VariAx system plates processed with Type II Anodization. Type II Anodization is designed to increase the strength of the plates and may reduce the incidence of tissue adhesion.1
The polyaxial locking capabilities of this system help to provide a 30-degree (±15degrees) locking cone in which each locking screw/peg can be individually placed. A locking screw can be removed, re-directed, and re-inserted in the same hole up to three times, without compromising locking strength.
Features & Benefits
- Complete Plating System, with volar anatomic or universal plates, and dorsal anatomic and fragment specific plates.
- Designed to eliminate threaded plates and allow the VariAx plate to be low-profile.
- Any locking screw/peg can be locked in any hole (except the oblong hole) in any plate.
- Polyaxial locking may offer the advantage of avoiding fracture lines, joint space, or catching specific fragments without the need for removal of previously placed screws/pegs or re-positioning of the plate itself, simply by removing the particular screw and re-directing it.
1. Baumann A., Zander, N.; “Ti6A14V with Anodization Type II: Biological Behavior and Biomechanical Effects”, March 2005.