Gamma3 Locking Nail
Features & Benefits
- Titanium alloy with Type II anodization (Ti-6Al-4v)
- Designed to address stable and non-stable intertrochanteric fractures
- Option for the younger or smaller patient where bone removal is a concern
- Alternative to compression hip screws
- May reduce trauma to patient through closed operative technique5,6
- Limited incision at the tip of greater trochanter may result in minimal blood loss and potentially less operative time5-8
- Early weight bearing may typically be allowed as a result of biomechanically stable construct3-9
1. v. Oldenburg G, Speitling A, Report No. 2003-6: Gamma3 Ti Strength. Dec 2003, Issue 1, p 4-5
2. v. Wieding H, Speitling A, S&T 2003-7: Gamma3 Lag Screw. Dec 2003, Issue 1, p 5
3. Grosse A., Favreul E., Tagland G., “The Gamma Nail; The results at the CTO Strasbourg” Paper presented at the International Symposium “Recent Advances in Locking Nails”, Hong Kong, 1992
4. Taglang G. Favreul E., “Results from the Centre de Traumatologie et d’Orthopedie, Strasbourg”: Paper presented at the Advanced Course in Intramedullary Locking Nailing, Courchevel, France, February 1991.
5. Leung KS, So WS, Shen WY, Hui PW, “Gamma nails and dynamic hip screws for peritrochanteric fractures. A randomized prospective study in eldery patients.” J. Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1992; 74B, 3:345-51
6. Boriani S. et al, results of Multicentric Italian Experience on the Gamma Nail. A report on 648 cases, Orthopedics 1991; 14, 12: 1307-1314.
7. Radford, P.J., (University Hospital Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, England): “Comparison of results of the GammaTM Nail and Dynamic Hip Screw in Extracapsular fractures of the Proximal Femur.”: Paper presented at Advanced Course in Intramedullary Locking Nailing, Courchevel, France, February 1991.
8. Williams, J.J. Cohen, P.Z. Pittsburgh Orthopaedic Journals, 1990, Volume 1, pages 20-23.
9. DeGroote, W., Van Hoye M. et al, (St. Jan General Hospital, Bruge/Middelheim General Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium): “The Gamma Locking Nail in the treatment of trochanteric fractures” Article in press.